Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Yesterday...

was a fun St. Paddy's Day! Trey & I had lunch with Ruben & his friend from work, Jonathon. Trey started trying to say "Jonat..." over & over. But what really surprised me was when we were eating our breakfast cereal, he pointed to the window where the sun was streaming throught the blinds(finally, after 4 days of rain!) & said "shine Mama". I asked him what? & he said "shine, sun, rain gone, bye-bye rain."! I could't believe he said all that without me bringing up any of that. I told him he was so right, that we finally had sunshine & a beautiful day. Luck of the Irish! Now, if Trey could just find that pot of gold!

Tomorrow is a big day for Trey & I hope it goes as well as possible. I haven't posted anything in the blog until I could tell my parents. We recently found out Trey has scoliosis. We have taken him for x-rays, a visit to the pediatric orthopedist at St. Vincent's, B'ham Limb & Brace(who did't take our insurance), another brace place who took our insurance but didn't know how to make the brace, got the Dr. to talk to the insurance company & get it approved at the other place-don't you love healthcare?!

He has 2 curves that are 20 degrees. The Dr. told us he will have to wear a brace to slow the progression of the curves as he grows or hopefully prevent it. We have absorbed this over several weeks & I hate he has to wear it only because of the discomfort it will be to him. Just having him measured for the brace a couple of weeks ago was torture! They basically wrapped him up like a mummy in some gauze with plaster to make a cast of his torso. Then they cut it off of him with the biggest pair of scissors I have every seen. He screamed & cried like he when he gets shots but this went on for much longer than shots. A very nice lady who works there went next door & got Trey fries & a Sprite! Because of course Trey had charmed her with his big blue eyes & sweet smile before the torture started!

We go tomorrow to get it & they will adjust it if needed. Then we go to the orthopedist to make sure it fits. Ruben is going with us this time to help me & for moral support! I know there are much more serious & life-threatening conditions that affect children so I am trying to keep perspective-eventual surgery would be the worst thing that would happen if the curve progresses beyond 50 degrees.

So many new words have been flying out of Trey's mouth! He said "What?" tonight to Ruben & we responded for a minute before we realized what he said! Miss Naomi at his school is Na-Na & he has a friend named Raegan & can now say Raegan which started out as Ray-Ray. I think she may be his girlfriend! He smiles really big when I mention her. He handed me a dime today & said "penny". Apple for applesauce, book, Trey's house, are a few of his latest but I can't remember all of them! He is sweet as ever & rambunctious too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am thinking of you all today!